Are you someone who is often told that you can’t seem to find the luck to get yourself out of a situation? Have you ever considered the mindset you’re in hindering your ability to succeed? The Positive Affirmations Center shares the quotes from ancient philosophers that will help you push the blocks of negativity out of your life, and instead use thoughts that will help you find success in your daily routine.
The ancient philosophers discuss what they think about success in their lives and what makes them happy. They also discuss the things that they believe would make others successful.
Some of them believed that it was through being virtuous, honest, or politically powerful. The individualistic view of success as something the person does themselves helped mold their idea of what made a person successful.
The quotes listed below are from a variety of books, articles, and letters written by ancient philosophers, including Plato, Aristotle, Seneca, Aurelius, and Socrates.
Stoicism was an ancient school of philosophy that originated in Greece in 280 BC. The Stoics believed that the path to happiness and success is paved with mastering one’s emotions. They thought that wisdom consisted of adopting an attitude of acceptance toward events that cannot be controlled, without displaying intense emotion or getting caught up in negative feelings.
One of the main reasons people have a hard time making time for themselves is that they are constantly feeling like they need to be available for others. But you need to remember that it’s not possible to give 100% of yourself all the time.
In order to feel fulfilled, successful people, know how important it is to make time for themselves and what makes them happy. They set aside certain times each week or month where they do what makes them happy and fill up their emotional tank. If you don’t make a point of caring about your mental health, then you’re at risk for depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues.
In order to be successful, you need to stop being surprised by everything that happens around you. If you want to live a life that is full of surprises, you will find that your life is full of things that are not a good fit for you. Being able to accept almost any surprise as being a natural part of life is what allows you to be ready for anything and make decisions quickly. The reason why surprise is so bad comes from the fact that it causes fear, which is something that we want to avoid at all costs.
This quote sums up the idea of success in Stoicism – not being afraid to face difficult situations, but instead choosing to take on those challenges with patience and optimism. Stoicism teaches that those who are at peace with themselves will never be enslaved or made a slave; they always have the freedom to choose their own path in life.
The stoics believed that the path to happiness and success was paved with mastering one’s emotions. Here are some quotes from this philosophy that will inspire you:
18 Quotes from Ancient Philosophers On Success
- “Achieving success in your life means attaining the things that are necessary to live a good life.” -Niccolo Machiavelli
- “What is the meaning of being successful? Life is not about how many breaths you take, but about how many moments take your breath away.” -Sylvester Stallone
- “Success and happiness go together.” -Woody Allen
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” -Winston Churchill
- “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” -Zig Ziglar
- “If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all.” ― Michelangelo
- “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out.” -Robert J.
- “If you wish to be in the company of those you call successful people, make your own success.”- Maxwell Maltz
- “Success is really just a question of how you define it.”- Jon Bonalc
- “The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.” – Marcus Aurelius
- “All obstructions in life are not worth a moment of time. One can get around them, go over them, or under them.” – Epictetus
- “There is no obstacle so great that it can keep a man from acting wisely.” – Seneca
- “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” ― Marcus Aurelius
- “So live as if you were living already for the second time and as if you had acted wrongly the first time. – Seneca
- “The height of a man’s success is gauged by his self-content. – Norman Vincent Peale
- “Remember that happiness is something that starts with YOU. If you want others to be happy, you must be happy first yourself. You can only have happiness as a person when your heart is pure and filled with gratitude.” ― Shannon L.
- “A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers.” – Plato
- “Success is not something that can be pursued; it must ensue.” – Henry David Thoreau
When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties, and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be.
Negative people, bad experiences, or perhaps traumatic events in your past can negatively impact your thoughts and feelings. Conflicting emotions can leave you feeling unfulfilled, even if you’re busy with work and other activities.
The repetition of negative thoughts can make it more challenging to maintain a positive outlook in life. Positive affirmations are a great way to counter thoughts related to negativity, stress, and anxiety. A large number of people have found that positive affirmations have been very helpful in improving their outlook in life, building self-confidence, and maintaining a high level of motivation, as well as knowing what and where you stand in life.